(Please note this was originally written in early 2019, before the pandemic.) With every new casino expansion, there is work to do on our Ten Predictions From 2015 – Updated Analysis in 2021. Encore Bostin Harbor property, the last piece of the puzzle, is built and ready to go. All nine casinos/resorts are together for your comparison. Please tell us what you think about the NETimeGambling Facebook group. Also, consider joining our Facebook Community, “New England Casinos.”
Related Post – NEW ENGLAND GAMBLING HISTORY – A TIMELINE
Now, how correct were the Binthsayer’s prognostications from 2015?
In 2015, I looked into my crystal ball to answer questions our followers asked about casino expansion. Let’s see how well I did:
- Massachusetts will not have a full slate of casinos until 2018. (Actually, Encore Boston Harbor didn’t open until June 23, 2019)
- Plainridge Park Casino is showing positive signs. (Plainridge has continued to straddle a fine line between relevance and immaterial because of its size, lack of table games, and surrounding competition)
- Steve Wynn’s Everett casino project, facing too many hurdles, legal suits, MGC quirks, and toxic waste will pull out of Massachusetts. ( Wrong, wrong, wrong. I must have felt a disturbance in the force when coming up with this one!)
- The Massachusetts Gaming Commission (MGC) might not back any of the proposals in Region C. They might decide the market will become oversaturated. (Nailed it!)
- The Mashpee Wampanoag tribe will eventually establish a casino in Taunton. (Nope, ain’t gonna happen)
- Aquinnah Wampanoag tribe will establish a Class II casino in Martha’s Vineyard. (Still looks like it will happen)
- MGM will change and down-scale its Springfield project due to increased CT competition on the border (Correct! changes in the hotel, housing project, and interior space happened. Later, more slots were taken out to make a more spatial feeling.)
- Will there be a new casino in Connecticut? Nope (nailed it)
- When will Maine add a third casino? – Never (nailed it)
- Will there ever be a casino in New Hampshire? – (chuckle) When pigs fly!
(But no one saw sports betting in their future, even the Binthsayer)