One month ago, NETimeGambling updated our New England Casinos By the Numbers and added casino #9 – Encore Boston Harbor. It’s fun to compare casino space, hotels, dining options, and more. Recently, our Rhode Island correspondent, Miguel, asked the question, “how do these nine casinos compare with social media “likes?” This interesting approach made us question how popular these properties are on social media, mainly Facebook. So, let’s look at Social Media and New England Casinos – By the numbers.
RELATED POST – New England Casinos by the Numbers
Before Facebook changes their “likes” feature, let’s look at how New England’s gambling shacks compare. In case you have been living under a rock or just arrived from a different planet, here is what a Facebook “Like” is. According to Gina Porier of Smallbusiness.Chron.com, “The “Like” feature on Facebook is simple in nature. Users click “Like” to communicate what they think about anything. From a marketing perspective, it may be the most powerful tool Facebook has to offer. If you own a business and run a Facebook page, Facebook users can “Like” your page or any content you post on it, telling their friends that they like what you have to offer.”
At its simplest, the Twitter Like button is a way of giving someone a virtual pat on the back to say, “good work, guys, I like what you’re saying.” Likes are represented by a small heart and are used to show appreciation for a Tweet. You can view the Tweets you’ve liked from your profile page by clicking or tapping into the Likes tab.
Now, we understand this is not a perfect comparison. Those casinos in business longer have a better probability for more likes. But when investigating Social Media and New England Casinos, some interesting results are found if you look carefully. So, how do our casinos measure up? Miguel found the following:
CASINO FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTAGRAM OPENED
Mohegan Sun (CT) – ———— 652K ————-207.8K ———– 76K . 1995
Foxwoods (CT) ——————- 423K ———— 209.8K ———– 65.7K. 1992
Twin River (RI) ———————- 80K ———— 5.5K ————– 4.4K. 2007
Tiverton (RI) ———————— 16K ———— 887 ————— 861. 2019
Encore Boston Harbor (MA) —- 44K ————- 8.5K ————– 37.3K. 2019
MGM Springfield (MA) ———— 79K ————- 11.2K ———– 19.8K . 2018
Plainridge (MA) ——————– 57K ————– 1.7K ————– 1.5K. 2015
Hollywood Bangor (ME) ——– 31K ————– 750 ————— 919. 2005
Oxford (ME) ————————- 23K ————– 966 ————— 305. 2012
- The Maine casinos need lagging. Hollywood has some ” ‘splaining to do!” The third oldest and smallest casino still lags in social marketing. Oxford, while a little better, still not a lot to call home about.
- MGM Springfield is doing well in its first year. But EncoreBH, with only a few months, is already challenging the industry giant MGM.
- Already, EncoreBH is third on Instagram. It’s approaching the tribes in Connecticut on Instagram. It certainly helps to have a new, beautiful property for gorgeous picture taking. It will take time to reach FW & MS in the other two categories, but it’s already rivaling MGM’s numbers.
- What is Twin River doing? MGM has, at present, has reached or surpassed TW’s numbers. For a larger and older casino by 11 years, either MGM is doing something right, or Twin River needs to re-assess its marketing. BTW, NETG votes both Ocean State casino websites as the worst in New England.
- Tiverton is small and new and is closing in on Oxford numbers with 7 years. Hmm…………
So, there is a different take on casino comparison. It is just another tool for New England’s gamblers to use and for the casinos to use for their future social media.
Special Thanks to Miguel for the brains behind this one. You can follow him on Twitter @NECasinoMiguel