Tis the season to start dreamin’. But don’t quit your day job just yet. It’s time to hear about POWERBALL Mania, The Truths and Chances
You’ve Heard it Said Before – “You Can’t Win If You Don’t Play” How about some other similar sayings, like:
- “You Can’t Win If You Don’t Enter” (Still waiting for the balloons & GIGANTIC Check!)
- “Can’t Sit If You Want to be Fit” (True! I found that saying sitting in my recliner!)
- “(If) You Can’t Say Something Nice, Don’t say ANYTHING AT ALL”
- “Can’t Complain If You Don’t Vote” (Just think – If we had a $1 National Complaint Jar, We’d turn that deficit around in no time!)
- “You Can’t Make Your Bed If You’re a Tyrannosaurus Rex”(Ok, that’s kinda off track, but pretty funny)
The truths about Powerball:
- 75% of Jackpot winners used Quick Picks for their numbers.
- The four winning-est Powerball Numbers are 26, 41, 22, 16
- The odds are so large that even buying every number combination at $2 a ticket would cost you $584 million. Sounds like a profit, right. After taxes, you’ll still owe millions.
- Lottery results are completely random, so no one can control the outcome. It is impossible to predict a number beyond its overall probability of appearing among the winning numbers. A random guess has just as much chance at winning as playing birthdays, anniversary dates, or any personal system. Players can’t control lottery outcomes by using various methods to forecast winning numbers – if so, would it be over $800,000,000?
- The rules were changed on October 7, 2015 to make the jackpot harder to hit, and thus grow larger jackpots. The previous jackpot probability was 1 in 175.2 million. It is now 1 in 292.2 million.
- Buying more tickets does not increase your chances. Each ticket should be considered like one play on a slot machine – one event. THE ODDS DON’T CHANGE! YOU DON’T HAVE A BETTER CHANCE IF MORE OR LESS PEOPLE BUY TICKETS, OR WHATEVER THE JACKPOT IS!
WHAT ARE YOUR CHANCES – REALLY?
While it is true – “You Can’t Win If You Don’t Play,” what chances do you have to win? You have a better chance of the following happening instead of winning Powerball:
1. Dying from an asteroid strike: 1 in 74,817,414
2. Getting killed by a terrorist act in the United States: 1 in 10,000,000
3. Getting murdered during a trip to the Grand Canyon: 1 in 8,156,000
4. Dying from chronic constipation: 1 in 2,215,900
5. Becoming a movie star: 1 in 1,505,000
6. Getting struck by lightning: 1 in 1,101,000
7. Birthing identical quadruplets – Odds: 13,000,000 to 1
8. Becoming an astronaut – Odds: 12,100,000 to 1
9. Getting a royal flush in a first hand of poker – Odds: 649,740 to 1
10. Finding a four leaf clover – Odds: 10,000 to 1
So, it’s true – You Can’t Win If You Don’t Play. Have fun with it, since, you’re likelier to die getting struck by lightning than winning the Powerball jackpot: 1 in 134,906. That’s all for now. I have to rush down to Lotto Mart to buy “a” ticket.
Related Post – Powerball History