New England casinos have always tried to add local culinary businesses to their dining list. And that doesn’t just include Dunkin’ Donuts. (By the way, there are ten DD’s in New England casinos – none in Maine’s casinos or at MGM Springfield.) So let’s see how New England Casinos Support the Local Food Industry.
Recent Local Additions – Casinos Support the Local Food Industry
Foxwoods Adds Mystic Market
Mystic Market is a gourmet kitchen and eatery with four locations along the Connecticut coastline. They are planning to add a fifth later this summer at Foxwoods Resort Casino.
It will be located on the Great Cedar concourse in the Great Cedar Hotel, occupying over 6,400 square feet. Mystic Market is famous on the Connecticut shoreline for providing fresh sandwiches, soups, salads, desserts, coffee, and gourmet meals. All products are made in-house with locally sourced ingredients. The Foxwoods location will also have a retail component, with olive oils, kinds of vinegar, and spices.
Coastal Gourmet Group set up the first market location in 1993. The group now runs two markets in Mystic, one in Old Saybrook and one in Westport. Coastal Gourmet also manages Aspen Restaurant & Bar in Old Saybrook and Latitude 41 in Mystic Seaport.
Encore Boston Harbor Adds Local Brewery
Since opening, Encore Boston Harbor has struggled with its identity. The northeast is not Vegas, which they have found out. So, a new addition to the casino’s food and beverage lineup will take a casual approach. In addition, EBH will have a brewery from its backyard.
Everett’s Night Shift Brewing has partnered with Encore to debut Night Shift Brewing Kitchen & Tap, opening April 15. Executive chef Kyle Bradish has put together a pub food-centric menu that includes small bites, sandwiches, and entrées. Its menu comprises tamarind glazed grilled pork belly bánh mì and marinated steak tips with roasted garlic potato puree. The Encore location will be similar to Night Shift’s Lovejoy Wharf location. Night Shift Brewing manages four other sites.
Related Post – Encore Boston Harbor Is the Gem of New England
Twin River’s Local Representitive – Jerry Longo’s Meatballs & Martinis
Jerry Longo’s brand originated in the Historic Federal Hill area in Providence, RI, where owner Jerry Longo created a unique menu of authentic Italian cuisine. Raised in South Philly, Jerry often found himself in the kitchen with his mother preparing “Italian Soul Food.” As a result, LONGO’S menus inspire exploration and sharing.
Longo opened his first Meatballs and Martinis in the Dover Downs Casino in Delaware. Jerry Longo’s Meatballs & Martinis opened late in 2020. A bocce ball court, blackjack tables, a DJ booth, and classic black-and-white movies add to the social dining club atmosphere. Jerry Longo’s also features custom craft and traditional cocktail favorites with a wide variety of two dozen signature martinis and a global robust wine menu.
New England Casinos Support the Local Food Industry – More
Here are other restaurants and food outlets from different casino’s local communities in New England Casinos. Unfortunately, some may be closed at this time due to pandemic reasons:
Encore Boston Harbor, Massachusetts
Fratelli – Two friends met in Boston’s North End as friends, and their Italian roots and passion for food brought them together as a family. They now come together to present Fratelli–a world-class Italian restaurant and unparalleled experience.
- Junior’s – Now open! Famous for the best cheesecake since the 1950s. It first began in Brooklyn, New York, known for its deli offerings. While not part of New England, most people are convinced at least half of Connecticut is a New York annex.
MGM Springfield, Massachusetts
- The first Wahlburgers opened in Hingham, Massachusetts, near Alma Nove, the pre-existing restaurant operated by Paul Wahlberg. So, it’s like wicked New England. Opening soon.
- Tap Sports Bar has a great sports pub atmosphere while serving up fan-favorite food and an extensive beer selection. Local beers include Amherst Brewing and Wormtown Brewing.
Mohegan Sun, Connecticut
- Pepe’s Pizza – Founded in 1925 by Frank Pepe, Pepe’s Pizza of New Haven is one of the oldest pizzerias in the United States.
- Pasta Vita – Pasta Vita began as a wholesale ravioli factory and has since developed into Connecticut’s leading Gourmet-to-Go retail business. Every day, Pasta Vita features over 100 freshly prepared entrées, vegetable dishes, salads, sauces, soups, loaves of bread, and desserts, as well as over 25 varieties of the company’s famous specialty-striped ravioli. Two locations at the casino.
Local restaurants need your help after this devastating pandemic. Visit dining and drinking establishments in and outside the casinos. Keep the local businesses at the forefront.
Finally, keep tipping – maybe add a little more to service staff for a while until we get through this. Support your local businesses.