It seems Mohegan Sun is never satisfied with the status quo. Besides local, American, and global interests, new plans to expand the property in Uncasville. Here is Mohegan Sun Stalls On Future Preston Plans
PLEASE NOTE – this is from our archives. A future investigation will look into why the Preston project has not moved quickly. Could Mohegan Gaming and Entertainment be too concerned about their Las Vegas and overseas projects? We’ll see. But let’s take a look at the plans.
Three of the latest casino industry trends for building are:
- The Convenience Casino – Smaller, local casinos with fewer amenities, a few restaurants, and mostly slots, if not all slots. Plainridge Park, in Plainville, MA., is an example in New England.
- The Urban Casino – built, usually in already existing buildings. Properties include major renovations or completely new buildings, like MGM Springfield.
- The Boutique Casino is a fairly vague answer to the Mega Resort Casino. The hotel and casino are downsized, much like The Cromwell in Las Vegas
Still, Mohegan Sun, a mega-resort/casino, is the antithesis of those trends. Even as of 2019, Mohegan Sun is looking into possible casino resort plans in Japan, Greece, and Korea. They will be managing the Virgin Hotel Casino in Las Vegas, the old Hard Rock Cafe.
Mohegan Sun Future Plans – Retail, Water Park, Senior Living and More
Kathleen McWilliams, from the Hartford Courant, recently reported the Mohegan’s plan for Preston, CT. Preston CT, across the river, will see a lavish project where the former Norwich Hospital site. Mohegan Sun Future Plans will “[will be made] into a dozen amenities, including an indoor water park, a senior living center, and a sports complex. This huge plan also includes outdoor and indoor entertainment attractions. Besides, a large performing venue will be included. Also included are timeshare units, retail, an RV park and marina, restaurant space, a convenience store, and gas station.”
“With up to $600 million in possible development, we will stimulate growth, drive new business and help strengthen the local economy,” Mohegan Tribal Chairman Kevin Brown said. He referred to the 393-acre brownfield site that has been vacant since the state shuttered the hospital’s doors in 1996. The town of Preston bought the property from the state for $1. $20 million, including $9 million from the state. It has been spent cleaning up the property and demolishing dozens of buildings to make way for new development
Connection to Casino Property
Is this designed to make the casino a bigger attraction? Not really. Mohegan Tribal Chairman Kevin Brown said the intentions are to:
- Offer options for Mohegan Sun visitors who aren’t as interested in gambling.
- Add at least 750 construction jobs and hundreds of permanent full-time positions.
- solidify Mystic country in southeastern Connecticut as a top tourism destination
- take a big step forward that will allow the town to double its grand list, said Preston First Selectman Bob Congdon
For now, the plans for the Preston seem to be in limbo for numerous reasons, including the pandemic.