sChurchill Downs Is The Center of the Racing World This Week. The Kentucky Derby is so much more than part of horse racing’s Triple Crown. It’s one of the most famed horse races in the world – aptly named “The Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports.” In addition, it’s step one of the famed Triple Crown in horse racing. Conequently, “The Derby” draws an average of 150,000 visitors each year, including celebrities, presidents, and members of royal families. For the official Kentucky Derby website, go to 2019 Official Kentucky. For today, read on we give you Kentucky Derby Primer and Local Celebrations
Interesting facts about “the Derby:”
- The first Kentucky Derby race occurred in 1875
- The Mint Julep is the official drink of the Kentucky Derby. It is an iced drink consisting of bourbon, mint, and a sweet syrup and is traditionally served in a commemorative Kentucky Derby glass.
- The Kentucky Derby is host to some of the longest standing racetrack traditions in the U.S. Each year, you will find fans sipping Mint Juleps (drink made from whiskey, mint and sugar) and eating burgoo (a meat stew) at the racetrack. Women appear in lavish outfits with big, elegant hats. The University of Louisville marching band plays Stephen Foster’s “My Old Kentucky Home” as the horses are paraded before the grandstands.
- This is actually a 2-week festival – The annual two-week series of events held in Louisville beginning with Thunder Over Louisville and leading up to the Kentucky Derby.
Types of Kentucky Derby Bets Available
- Win – This is a bet for a single horse to win.
- Place – This is a bet for a single horse to finish first or second.
- Show – A bet the horse will place in the top three.
- Across the Board (Win, Place & Show) – This is similar to a show bet, but if your horse wins second or first, the payout is much larger.
- Exacta – This is a bet for the first and second places – in the exact order.
- Exacta Box – This is like the exacta bet, except that the winners can be in any order.
- Trifecta – This bet is for the top three finishers in a specific order.
- Trifecta Box – Similar to the trifecta except the winners can be in any order.
- Superfecta – This is the toughest bet but one with the biggest payout. It chooses the top four finishers in exact order.
- Superfecta Box – This is the same as a superfecta except the order of the top four horses picked does not matter.
Kentucky Derby Celebrations at your New England Casinos.
KENTUCKY DERBY CELEBRATIONS – Foxwoods, Hollywood Bangor, MGM Springfield, Mohegan Sun, Oxford
FOXWOODS – May 4th, 10AM, Grand Pequot Ballroom –
Place a $50 wager and receive one (1) free food coupon for the Kentucky Derby Buffet, one (1) free mint julep coupon, and free Kentucky Derby T-shirt. Reserved Seating for account wagering players only in The Ultimate Race Book. Place a $25 wager and receive a free Kentucky Derby Cap. One per Loyalty Card Holder, while supplies last, only in GPT Ballroom. The Ultimate Race Book – Advanced Wagering begins May 2 / Kentucky Oaks Day • May 3
HOLLYWOOD BANGOR RACEWAY – May 4th. –
The 135th season of racing at historic Bangor Raceway gets underway on Saturday afternoon with a day of events leading up to the Kentucky Derby. Live racing starts at 2:30 p.m. and a full slate of nine races is scheduled. Hollywood Casino will be offering prizes for the best hat and attire.Coverage of the Kentucky Derby begins at 4:30 p.m. and will be on display under the grandstand with opportunities to place wagers before the Derby post time of 6:46 p.m.Admission to the grandstand is free. Race programs are sold at the track for $1 starting the day before each race card.
MGM SPRINGFIELD – May 3&4th –
MGM Springfield kicks off a weekend of festivities on Friday, May 3. The first event is the launch of “Food Truck Fridays” and billed as “Derby de Mayo Weekend” on the casino grounds. “Derby de Mayo Weekend” kicks off at 11 a.m. with a musical performance in addition to lawn games and food bites from “Food Truck Fridays.” Guests can also enjoy TAP Sports Bar’s signature outdoor beer garden, which will open for the first time this season.On Saturday, May 4, at 4:30 p.m., the grounds off Howard Street will transform into an outdoor viewing party for the venerable Kentucky Derby race as it shown live on the 330-square-foot marquee screen. The event also will feature live music and three MGM Springfield food trucks.
MOHEGAN SUN – May 4th –
Sky Convention Center And Uncas Ballroom. Open seating for approximately 1,000 people on a “first come” basis; VIP section for invited guests; 30 Betting terminals; 9 large screen displays dedicated to the races; Special Guest Handicappers: Mike “Mut” Mutnansky – Host of Mut and Callahan from 6am to 10am on Sports Radio 93.7 WEEI in Boston. Anthony “Big A” Stabile – Co-host of Talking Horses on NYRA and HRRN, Jim Mazur – from Progressive Handicapping; Giveaways: With $25 wager ..Commemorative Mohegan Sun Derby 2019 T-shirt. With $50 wager…A pass to enjoy the Derby Festival Buffet.; Advance Wagering: in the Race Book available on Friday, May 3rd. Make a $50 advance wager on the Derby and receive a souvenir cap*. Windows open at 11:00am.
OXFORD CASINO (Owned by Churchill Downs Incorporated) – On Saturday, May 4 from Noon to 6:30pm –
Sixth Annual Derby Dash! Pick your favorite pony in the 145th running of the Kentucky Derby and you could win a share of the Derby Dash prize pool of up to $15,000* Free Slot Play. Then watch the race at the Oxford Event Center.