My wife and I recently visited the Maine casinos. It was time for our usual Maine marathon to Hollywood Casino, Hotel and Raceway in Bangor and Oxford Casino and Hotel in Oxford. After four years in a row of reporting about these properties, it’s hard to understand why anyone besides locals in a two-hour radius would go to Bangor. That’s where we start. The fact is Hollywood Bangor hasn’t been updated in years.
Related Posts – Maine Casino Specs and History
What Does Hollywood Bangor Offer?
In the four years of driving six hours north from the Connecticut Coast, I would love to be able to tell of the wonderful things it offers. Frankly, it’s like going back in time. One major change is that they closed the Sundries store on the casino floor. It will become a marketing office. Hosts will now be available more readily. Ok, that’s a plus, right?
The sundries store will be moved next to the hotel lobby check-in desk. It looks like it will be half the size. Not a good sign.
The fact is I don’t know of a good reason to visit besides it’s the local casino and “it’s too far to drive to Everett.” HB has seen a decline little by little. On a weekday night, with a free slot play “Midweek Moolah” promotion with $50 given away every 10 minutes, the place should have been buzzing. However, it wasn’t.
Random Thoughts While Visiting
We talked with a few regulars, and they admitted they felt it was hard to win in this casino. Here are more concerns:
- The restaurant Hops House 99 has even cut out some of its signature dishes like their Beer Can Chicken. It still has great beer on tap, but the menu seems more common with every visit.
- New slots have been added, but the floor inventory is still ancient.
- The video poker is even worse than MGM Springfield and both of Rhode Island’s casinos. Video keno is offered, but the paytables are lower with only single game cards available. You won’t find 4-card or multi-card.
- The ambiance is old and needs a facelift.
- Table games offer low limits midweek. $5 Craps with no extra bets like Fire Bet, but does have 3,4,5 odd p. Carnival games include 3 card poker, High Hand Flush, and Heads Up Texas Hold ‘Em. One roulette table. Two blackjack games – both 3:2. One has wheel Bonus, and the other has lucky ladies and 21+3
- The poker room did show some life, as small as it is.
- A buffet is only open on weekends.
The rooms are basic, comfortable, and clean. Nice toiletries, coffee, water, and free wi-fi offered for the $20 resort fee. The TV reception is nothing like other casino hotels with fuzzy channels and old flat devices. But, the hotel is still one of the better parts of the property. But the casino, which is the smallest in New England, doesn’t have enough to offer as a reason for a staycation.
All things considered, I don’t recommend this hotel/casino. If it’s all you got for 150 miles that offers casino gambling, then you’re stuck. Your other options are to go north to Montreal, west to Oxford, or south four hours to Encore Boston Harbor in Everett, MA.
About Binbin and NETimeGambling.com
Robin T. Aubin (AKA Binbin at NETimeGambling) has been a guest on Cousin Vito’s Casino Podcast, The Bettor Life Podcast, The Art in the Game Podcast featuring all that is Springfield, Massachusetts. as well as ZorkCast with Michael Trager. As the founder of NETimeGambling.com, he has tried to provide a resource for recreational gamblers featuring New England’s expanding casino market events, gambling promotions, and entertainment. As a professional musician for over 50 years, he has performed in some of New England’s best venues, namely Mohegan Sun’s Wolf Den, Foxwoods’ Atrium Lounge, and Twin River’s Lighthouse Bar & Lounge.
The goal of NETimeGambling is to provide a service and resource for any recreational gambler visiting New England’s expanding casino market and interested in gambling tips, news, advice, and the latest in events, gambling promotions, and entertainment.
Follow us on Twitter at @NETimeGambling, and on Facebook at NETimegambling. Join the New England Casinos Facebook Group and chat about experiences at our New England Casinos.