My wife and I annually visit the Maine Casino, Hollywood Casino, Hotel and Raceway in Bangor, and Oxford Casino and Hotel in Oxford. After four years of reporting about these properties, it’s hard to understand why anyone besides locals in a two-hour radius would go to Bangor. So that’s where we start. The fact is Hollywood Bangor Needs To Update.
Related Posts – Gambling in Maine-The Pine Tree State
What Does Hollywood Bangor Offer?
In the four years of driving six hours north of the Connecticut Coast, I would love to be able to tell of the beautiful things it offers. Frankly, it’s like going back in time. One significant change is that they closed the Sundries store on the casino floor. Instead, it will become a marketing office. Hosts will now be available more readily. Ok, that’s a plus, right?
The sundries store will be moved next to the hotel lobby check-in desk. Unfortunately, it looks like it will be half the size. That is not a good sign.
I don’t know of a good reason to visit besides it’s the local casino, and it’s too far to drive to Everett.” HB has declined little by little. The place should have been buzzing on a weekday night with a free slot play “Midweek Moolah” promotion with $50 given away every 10 minutes. However, it wasn’t.
Random Thoughts While Visiting
We talked with a few regulars, who admitted they felt it was hard to win in this casino. Here are more concerns:
- Hops House 99 has even cut out some signature dishes like its Beer Can Chicken. It still has excellent beer on tap, but the menu seems more familiar with every visit.
- New slots have been added, but the floor inventory is still ancient.
- Video poker is even worse than MGM Springfield and Rhode Island casinos. Video keno is offered, but the paytables are lower, with only single-game cards available. You won’t find a 4-card or multi-card.
- The ambiance is old and needs a facelift.
- Table games offer low limits midweek. $5 Craps with no extra bets like Fire Bet, but does have 3,4,5 odd p. Carnival games include 3 card poker, High Hand Flush, and Heads Up Texas Hold Em. One roulette table. Two blackjack games – both 3:2. One has a wheel Bonus, and the other has lucky ladies and 21+3
- The poker room did show some life, as small as it is. But it hasn’t opened since the pandemic.
- A buffet has been closed indefinitely since the pandemic.
The rooms are basic, comfortable, and clean. Nice toiletries, coffee, water, and free wi-fi are offered for the $20 resort fee. The TV reception is unlike other casino hotels with fuzzy channels and old flat devices. But, the hotel is still one of the better parts of the property. But the casino, which is the smallest in New England, doesn’t have enough to offer as a reason for a staycation.
I don’t recommend this hotel/casino unless you combine it with Maine tourism and culinary delights. You’re stuck if it’s all you have for 150 miles that offer casino gambling. Your other options are to go north to Montreal, west to Oxford, or south for four hours to Encore Boston Harbor in Everett, MA.