Just when you think it’s time for Bally’s to pause, it’s moving and shaking in the casino industry, another news flash is reported. This time the addition is in Pennsylvania. Bally’s Continues Expansion Into Pennsylvania.
Bally’s Continues Expansion
Bally’s (formerly known as Twin River Worldwide Holdings) is at again. After a very busy 2020, Bally’s is now looking ahead to Pennsylvania.
Bally’s Corp. announced Monday it signed a framework agreement to open an estimated $120 million casino. Penn St. fans will be able to add gambling to pre-football-game traditions. The Category 4 casino is slated to be built at the Nittany Mall in State College, Centre County, Pennsylvania.
A Category 4 license permits licensees to operate between 300 and 750 slot machines. They may also operate up to 30 table games. The proposed casino will be the 13th in Pennsylvania. It will be the first in Pennsylvania for Bally’s. Bally’s now has 11 casinos in seven states, including Bally’s Atlantic City.
What Has Bally’s/TRWH Been Up To The Last Six Years?
It all started in 2014 when Twin River bought the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Biloxi in Mississippi. At the time, they only owned Twin River Casino in Lincoln, RI. In 2015, Twin River purchased Rhode Island’s only other casino, the Newport Grand. After closing Newport Grand in 2018, they moved its operations to the new Tiverton Casino Hotel, which opened days later. Then TRWH went on a shopping spree. Bally’s Continues Expansion Into Pennsylvania, starting in Delaware.
Related Post – BRIEF Rhode Island Gambling History
The Buying Continues With Eldorado/Caesars
- March 2019, Twin River completed a reverse merger with Dover Downs Gaming & Entertainment, Dover Downs Hotel & Casino’s parent company.
- January 2020, Twin River purchased three casinos in Black Hawk, Colorado (the Golden Gates, Golden Gulch, and Mardi Gras)
- April 2020, Twin River announced a deal with Caesars Entertainment and Vici Properties. They would purchase Bally’s Atlantic City in New Jersey. Bally’s then bought Eldorado Shreveport Resort Casino in Louisiana and MontBleu Resort Casino & Spa in Lake Tahoe, Nevada, separately from Eldorado Resorts.
- July 2020, Twin River bought two casinos in Missouri and Mississippi (Isle of Capri Casino Kansas City and Lady Luck Casino Vicksburg) from Eldorado Resorts. (renamed Casino KC and Casino Vicksburg, respectively.)
- October 2020, the company agreed to buy Jumer’s Casino & Hotel in Illinois.
- Later that month, Twin River acquired the rights to the Bally’s casino trademark from Caesars.
“That area is an underserved region within Pennsylvania’s attractive gaming market. We look forward to bringing our first-class amenities and offerings to the Centre County community. We see a bright future for gaming in Pennsylvania.”Bally’s CEO George Papanier
An Overview of Pennsylvania’s Gaming
Pennsylvania has three types of casinos: hotel resort casinos, traditional stand-alone casinos, and racetrack casinos. According to American Casino Guide Book, Pennsylvania approved slot machines at 14 different locations throughout the state in 2004.
The traditional stand-alone casinos in Pennsylvania have up to 5,000 machines each. The hotel resort licensees, however, are only allowed up to 600 machines in their casinos. All Pennsylvania casinos are open 24 hours a day. The minimum gambling age is 21 at casinos and 18 for pari-mutuel betting.
Sports Betting In Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania legalized sports betting in 2017. Not only do they have legalized sports betting, but they also have mobile betting and online gambling. The passage of the October 30th gambling expansion bill made Pennsylvania the fourth state to legalize online gambling, joining Nevada, New Jersey, and Delaware.
Papanier hopes that the casino, part of Bally’s Continued Expansion Into Pennsylvania, will host patrons sometime during the first half of 2022. At that time, health risks due to the COVID-19 pandemic will hopefully be reduced. In any case, Bally Corporation continues “moving on up” in the casino industry.
Related Posts – Twin River Changing Name and Adding Another Casino