I’ve bet crazy at times, but I wouldn’t consider any of those bets part of the 5 Craziest Gambling Bets Ever Made. Today we take a break from the New England casino expansion to look at some of the craziest bets ever made. I’m not talking about taking insurance on a Blackjack hand, I mean seemingly insane. I’m sure there are a lot more and a lot crazier!
A Run for his Money
1) Ashton Griffin, laid out 3:1 odds on himself of being able to run 70 miles on a treadmill in 24 hours. If he lost, he would have paid out 3x the bet. By some miracle, he pulled this off, won $300K, and avoided having to shell out $900K. Furthermore, he finished the 70 miles with 45 minutes to spare!
Easy Come, Easy Go
2) It’s almost impossible to decide which of legendary gambler Archie Karas’ bets was the craziest. The man came to Vegas with $50 in his wallet. After arriving, he grew that stake to a staggering $17 million over the course of three years. His gamers of choice were pool and poker. Karas’ three-year streak is regarded as the most insane in Las Vegas history. As a result, he was banned from the poker tables at most casinos. Karas settled for taking $100,000 bets on single dice rolls. Just a year after that, he’d lost it all the same way he earned it.
Keeping a breast of his wager
3) Man Who Got Breast Implants on a Bet – This one is part of gambling folklore. Magician and high-stakes gambler Brian Zembic made the bet in 1996. Brian bet he would get breast implants and keep them in for a year for $100K wager. The craziest part of this story is after the wager was paid. Zembic apparently was so enamored with his “additions,” he never removed them. Subsequently, this is definitely one of the Craziest Gambling Bets Ever Made.
He saw red – one of the 5 Craziest Gambling Bets Ever Made
4) Some people come to Vegas for a personal transformation. A change from their old life to be born again in Sin City. Ashley Revell sold everything he owned to do that. In this case, he emptied his bank account and put every penny he had—$135,000—on red. One spin of the wheel later he doubled his money. As a result of his win, he gave a $600 tip to the dealer and walked out a rich man.
One Man’s Trash……
5) In Vegas, people will bet on just about anything. In short, El Cortez owner Jackie Gaughan decided to start taking “astronomical” bets in 1979. The wager was on where space station Skylab’s wreckage would fall to Earth when it re-entered the planet’s atmosphere. Jackie laid odds on everything from New York City to the El Cortez itself (which paid out 10,000 to 1). The final resting place of the downed satellite ended up being Australia.
What are some of your craziest bets? Send us a comment @NETimeGambling.com .
Related Post – 10 Ridiculous Super Bowl Prop Bets