The Mohegan Sun Arena is a 10,000 seat multi-purpose arena in Uncasville, Connecticut located inside Mohegan Sun. The arena facility features 30,000 square feet of configurable exhibition space and opened in October 2001.
The arena originally served as home of the Mohegan Wolves arena football team until 2004. In 2003, the arena became the home of the Connecticut Sun, when the franchise was purchased from Orlando.
The following is a review of the 2017 year in Mohegan Sun Arena from Marketing Manager Cody Chapman.
Mohegan Sun Arena recorded yet another successful year of A-list national tours and national awards in 2017. Two major awards were “Prime Site” and “Casino of the Year,” bringing the total to 15 national awards for the Arena over nine years. Named in Connecticut Magazine as “Best of Connecticut 2017” for large entertainment venue, Mohegan Sun Arena continues to be one of the busiest venues in the world, and surpassed 11 million guests this year as well.
“I am blessed to have so many talented people who help put our entertainment brand on the world stage – they are the reason we have a world-class venue sitting right in our backyard,” said Tom Cantone, Sr. VP of Sports and Entertainment.
Along with recognitions, 2017 brought in multiple Grammy winners, Billboard chart toppers and Top Hot 100 artists with a record of 39 sellouts, as well as two major sport franchises, CT Sun and Black Wolves Lacrosse who both made the playoffs, filling in some of 165 dates drawing some 800,000 fans.
Among the celebrated artists and bands in 2017, one of the hottest tours includes Lady Gaga’s, “Joanne World Tour” which hit Mohegan Sun Arena with two sold-out shows. The Arena also hosted other highly touted tours that sold-out within minutes including Ed Sheeran, Bon Jovi, Neil Diamond, Depeche Mode, Journey, Pentatonix, Backstreet Boys and Ariana Grande.
Major National Awards and Tours:
- #1 Ranked Casino Venue in the World (Billboard, Pollstar, Venues Today)
- #1 Social Media Venue in the World for Size (Venues Today)
- Prime Site Award (Facilities & Event Management Magazine)
- Casino of the Year (IEBA – International Entertainment Buyers Association)
- Named Most Instagrammed Location in CT (Buzzfeed)
- 3rd in the U.S. for Size (Billboard)
- 3rd in the World for Size (Billboard)
- 39th in the World for All Size Venues (Pollstar)
- 17th in the U.S. for All Size Venues (Pollstar)
- Ed Sheeran – Grammy nomination for “Song of the Year;” Presented a check for $10,000 to the CT Children’s Hospital in his name
- Lady Gaga – 2017 American Music Awards “Favorite Pop/Rock Female Artist;” Wore the CT Sun game jersey on stage during her show
- Katy Perry – Met the family of a local cancer victim who listened to her music during treatment. The full story is available to read here: Poughkeepsie Journal
- Bon Jovi – Rehearsed and started his “This House Is Not for Sale Tour” at Mohegan Sun Arena
- Ariana Grande – Grammy nominations: “Best Pop Vocal Album” and “Best Pop Solo Performance;” BBC Radio 1’s Teen Awards “Best International Solo Artist”
- The Weeknd – Power Artists (Billboard Power 100)
- Florida Georgia Line – “Top Country Song” (Billboard)
- Imagine Dragons – 2017 American Music Awards “Favorite Duo/Group Pop/Rock”
- Halsey – “Top Hot 100 Song,” “Top Collaboration,” “Top Dance/Electric Song” (Billboard); Grammy nomination for “Best Pop Duo/Group Performance”
- Vets Rock – With Joe Walsh and Eddie Money, raised a total of $250,000 for our Veterans and USO
*Rankings reflect mid-year reporting with year-end results due out January 2018.
Other notable national tours in 2017 included: Eric Church, Sebastian Maniscalco, Tim & Faith, Jason Aldean, Neil Diamond, The Who, New Kids on the Block, Pentatonix, Chris Rock and Kevin Hart.
Mohegan Sun Arena keeps pace in the New Year with big name acts set for 2018 as: Walk The Moon on January 20th, Dancing With The Stars on January 26th & 27th, Cole Swindell on February 17th, Little Big Town on February 23rd, Kid Rock on March 2nd, Alice Cooper on March 8th, Rod Stewart on March 24th, Celtic Woman on March 30th, Lorde on April 7th, Brett Eldredge on April 28th, Tim & Faith on June 15th and many more.
The New England Blackwolves, of the National Lacrosse League, are continuing their winning season through April. Then the WNBA will start up and the Connecticut Sun will call the arena home. Always excitement at Mohegan Sun Arena.