Can You Take the Slot Machine Truth Quiz and score 100?
I’m read that slots are not going to be prevalent as much in the next few years. Millennials’ money is being sought, casinos are reducing the importance of their “bottom line,” and casinos are looking to offer more amenities, less gambling. So, before the technology changes so much that this quiz is obsolete, let’s see if you would know about those one-arm bandits…….take the quiz below. True or false!
1. A cold machine is due to pay a jackpot soon.
2. Machines that pay better are put near the doors of casinos.
3. The odds change when the casino expects a large crowd
4. Penny slots are your best deal
5. Slot Machines are fixed to beat the player
6. There are ways to beat slot machines
7. Always cover all the lines – bet max lines.
8. If I leave the machine, and it hits a jackpot, I would have hit it if I had stayed
9. Casinos can change the payoff % with a flip of the switch or a technician opening it up briefly, doing whatever they do.
10. There is no link between the card reader and the RNG in the slot machine.
1. False – depending on your definition of soon. If you are going to sit and play for the next month non-stop, you’d probably see some good hits.
A psychological term known as the gambler’s fallacy pertains to this perception. The previous outcome has no impact on the next slot pull – it has no memory of previous games. The truth is, a cold machine is just a machine that hasn’t paid for a while, that’s all.
2 . False – Once upon a time a machine or two was placed near a casino entrance that paid better (a long time ago.). However, today there is no need to entice you in to play like the old days, machines with higher payback % are strewn around the casino.
Modern casinos don’t put easy machines near doors or at the end of a row of slots. If they did, why would anyone play the tough slots? Want a higher paying slot, try bumping up in denomination – and even then, it’s a sure thing.
3. False – Nope it’s not done. Do you know why? They don’t have to. The casino edge is all around you – why pay more people extra to do all that when they’ll make money just leaving them alone? In fact, aside from frowns of the Gaming Control Board and the time to make all the changes, the crowds on weekends aren’t worth the effort – it’s busy most days at modern casinos.
4. False – Actually, the term penny slots is manufacturer magic. If you play, you know that there is a lowest bet on most “penny slots.” The latest don’t even give you a chance to play a penny under their certain limit. Aristocrat has .25, .40 as their lowest bet. Under that, you just have to cash out!
But back to the question. Even though you may be betting small, the sad truth is that overall, penny slots have the highest casino edge per spin of all slots. And, since the per-spin amount is higher than other slots, the total hourly cost of playing them is often higher than other machines.
5. True – of course! It’s called Casino Advantage. It’s not true that they are fixed to cheat – but of course they are fixed to win. The machines are designed to have a sizable house edge and the more you play, the more you spend.
6. False – unless you mean physically hitting the machine, which will probably draw some undesirable attention. No book, article or system is ever going to teach you how to win at the slots. There are smarter ways to manage your bankroll when playing slots, such as knowing the individual machine’s rules, or watching for random bonus machines getting close to being hit. But even then, it’s just trying to play smarter, a sure-fire method to win. Please, don’t waste you money or effort. The simple truth is that slot machines are a gamble – pure and simple. Enjoy them at your own risk – and simply as entertainment!
7. True – if you want to have the best way to maximize your bankroll and give yourself the greatest advantage at the luck of the RNG. That doesn’t mean max bet, just max lines. Some machines, such as “Quick Hit” and their many variations should be played with max bet – it’s like playing video poker on one credit. It you don’t want to give yourself a chance for the better payoff, then that’s your decision. Whatever floats your boat. But, always MAX LINES.
8. False – that machine doesn’t know who is pushing the button or pulling the lever.
The random action of paying out does not depend on the amount of spins that have previously occurred – or the temperature of the coins or bill you put in, or the time between plays. It is the exact moment that the reels are spun that determines the outcome of the spin.
9. False. The slot machines have a computer chip in them that determines the pay back percentage. These are preset at the factory. In order for a casino to change the pay back, they would have to change the chip. In most jurisdictions there is paper work that has to be filled and submitted to the Casino Control Commission for each machine if the chip is changed. It is time consuming and the chips are very expensive. For this reason, it is more economical to decide on the pay back percentages before purchasing the machines and having the factory ship them with the proper chip.
10. True – There IS no link between the card reader and the RNG. By not using your player’s card you are denying yourself valuable comps and sometimes cash back from the casino.
How’d cha do? The only good score is 100 – 10 out of 10. If you got any wrong, look it up and learn to accept the science and technology involved. It might make your experience, and your bankroll, better knowing the truth.