Plainridge Park continues to improve its footing in the New England Casino landscape. From its opening two years ago to now, Plainridge Park, in Plainville, Massachusetts, has pushed to make the first Massachusetts casino a successful one.
APRIL EXCEEDS EXPECTATIONS
After its best month in about a year and a half in March, Plainridge Park Casino raked in even more money in April, counting about $14.3 million in what was the slots parlor’s third best month on record, the Gaming Commission announced. With Wynn & MGM Springfield covering the rest of the state, the Mashpee Wampanoag casino project in Taunton looks like only a distraction at this point. The MGC’s decision to decline the Southeast Gaming licence in Brockton, MA seems like the right decision to be made.
More good news for Plainridge Park in May emerged when the UMass Donahue Institute released a compilation of results from two years of new employee questionnaires at Plainridge Park Casino. According to BusinessWest.com, Plainridge has helped to reduce employment in its surrounding area with the following statistics:
- 50.1% of new hires worked part-time or were unemployed before obtaining their job at Plainridge Park Casino;
- Major reasons for seeking employment included career advancement, improved pay, and improved benefits;
- 40.1% of new hires said they needed work due to being unemployed, part-time, or underemployed. 86.2% had no gaming experience prior to their jobs at Plainridge Park Casino;
- 96.5% of new hires did not transfer from other Penn National Gaming locations, and 92.8% did not move to take their jobs at the casino. Of those who moved, one-quarter originated from cities or towns within Massachusetts; and
- Nearly three-quarters of respondents come to their job without pre-employment training for their position.
“As we have pointed out repeatedly, the Legislature made broad-based economic development a key focus of the Gaming Act, with a particular focus on local employment for those underemployed and unemployed,” said MGC Chairman Steve Crosby. “This report, thus far, demonstrates that legislative intent is being achieved.
ADDITIONAL ENTERTAINMENT OFFERINGS & PROMOTIONS
The Plainridge Park Casino & Raceway is operated by Penn National Gaming Incorporated, who also owns Hollywood Casino, Hotel & Raceway in Bangor Maine. Penn National also owns and runs 26 other casinos across the country. It’s two latest acquisitions have extended its brand to Las Vegas, with the Tropicana & M Resort. Now, players at both New England Penn casinos can also use Marqee Rewards points for offers at these two properties.
But wait, there’s more…..
- The promotions have increased and varied over time. More free slot play has been an emphasis for this past year, and players seem to be responding. Promotions
- Its harness racing area has be renovated and has shown new life in the opening of this year’s races. Racing.
- And the Loft, a small intimate event area, which is available for catered parties, weddings and celebrations events, has already offered boxing, comedy shows, and is bringing “Magic Mike” – A Ladies Night Only on June 17th!
It’s only the beginning, but the following months could bring the “little slot parlor that could” a banner summer for itself and the continued expansion of Massachusetts Casino Gaming.