- “You Can’t Win If You Don’t Enter” (Still waiting for the balloons & GIGANTIC Check!)
- “You Can’t Sit If You Want to be Fit” (True! I’m glad I found that saying sitting in my recliner!)
- “(If) You Can’t Say Something Nice, Don’t say ANYTHING AT ALL”
- “You Can’t Complain If You Don’t Vote” (Just think – If we had a $1 National Complaint Jar, We’d turn that deficit around in no time!)
- “You Can’t Make Your Bed If You’re a Tyrannosaurus Rex”(Ok, that’s kinda off track, but pretty funny)
So, today, POWERBALL is BIG AGAIN! POWERBALL MANIA. Part 2 of a previous post of NETG’s POWERBALL Coverage reminds us of what powerball is about. If you want to read the first post, click here for POWERBALL Payoffs, A Little History, & A Little Bit of Humor.
Yesterday, I heard the same misconceptions on the Today Show. Only Dillon Dryer knew the truth about gambling %. The rest of the TV personalities were just clueless, asking the age-old uniformed question “Doesn’t buying more tickets increase your chances?
The answer is a definite NO. Just like every pull on a slot machine, every single ticket has athe same chances, and more tickets doesn’t improve that!
The TRUTH ABOUT YOUR CHANCES?
YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH…..ah, ABOUT YOUR CHANCES!
Today’s POWERBALL odds for the Jackpot are 1 in 292,000,000.
75% of Jackpot winners used QuickPicks for their numbers.
The odds are so large that even buying every number combination at $2 a ticket would cost you $584 million. Sounds like a profit, right. After taxes, you’ll still owe millions.
Lottery results are completely random, so no one can control the outcome. It is impossible to predict a number beyond its overall probability of appearing among the winning numbers. A random guess has just as much chance at winning as playing birthdays, anniversary dates, or any personal system. Players can’t control lottery outcomes by using various methods to forecast winning numbers – if so, would it be over $800,000,000?
The rules were changed on October 7, 2015 to make the jackpot harder to hit, and thus grow larger jackpots. The previous jackpot probability was 1 in 175.2 million. It is now 1 in 292.2 million.
Buying more tickets does not increase your chances. Each ticket should be considered like one play on a slot machine – one event. Remember those days of playing a slot repeatedly, pulling the handle, pushing the button – event after event. After no jackpot, you get up and the next player hits it after 5 pulls, or events. Well, that’s an overly simplified version the lottery. THE ODDS DON’T CHANGE! YOU DON’T HAVE A BETTER CHANCE IF MORE OR LESS PEOPLE BUY TICKETS, OR WHATEVER THE JACKPOT IS!
While it is true – “You Can’t Win If You Don’t Play,” what chances do you have to win?
Well, here are 10 Things More Likely to Happen To You Than Winning Powerball :
1. Dying from an asteroid strike: 1 in 74,817,414
2. Getting killed by a terrorist act in the United States: 1 in 10,000,000
3. Getting murdered during a trip to the Grand Canyon: 1 in 8,156,000
4. Dying from chronic constipation: 1 in 2,215,900
5. Becoming a movie star: 1 in 1,505,000
6. Getting struck by lightning: 1 in 1,101,000
7. Birthing identical quadruplets – Odds: 13,000,000 to 1
8. Becoming an astronaut – Odds: 12,100,000 to 1
9. Getting a royal flush in a first hand of poker – Odds: 649,740 to 1
10. Finding a four leaf clover – Odds: 10,000 to 1
So, it’s true – You Can’t Win If You Don’t Play. Have fun with it, although, you’re likelier to die getting struck by lightning than winning the Powerball jackpot: 1 in 134,906.
That’s all for now. I have to rush down to Lotto Mart to buy “a” ticket.