The stage has been set for the opening of full blown casino gambling expansion in New England by 2020. While there may be changes along the way – there always seem to be – the final New England Casino Portfolio should look like this:
Maine – 2 casinos:
- Hollywood Casino, Hotel & Raceway in Bangor, ME. Owner – Penn National
- Oxford Casino, (with expanded gaming, dining and hotel), Oxford ME. Owner – Churchill Downs LLC.
Massachusetts – 4 casinos:
- Plainridge Casino (Slots only) & Raceway, Plainville, MA. Owner – Penn National
- Wynn Boston Harbor, Everett, MA. Owner – Wynn Resorts
- First Light Resort, Taunton, MA. Owner – Mashpee Wampanoag Tribal Nation
- MGM Springfield, Springfield, MA. Owner – MGM Resorts International
Rhode Island – 2 Casinos:
- Twin River Casino (with expanded Hotel), Lincoln, RI. Owner – Twin River Management Group
- Newport Grand, Newport, RI / Tiverton Resort, Tiverton, RI. (Move to Tiverton is expected by 2020) Owner – Twin River Management Group
Connecticut – 2 Tribal Casinos:
- Foxwoods Resort Casino, Mashatucket, CT. Owner – The Mashentucket Pequot Tribal Nation
- Mohegan Sun Resort Casino, Uncasville, CT. Owner – The Mohegan Tribe of CT
- Note – Due to the lack of legislative movement on a proposed 3rd casino in a joint venture by Mohegan & Pequot Tribes, NETG decided not to include it in the 2020 forecast as yet.
But there are still questions to be answered:
- Will Wynn Boston Harbor finally be able to get started as it still deals will stoppages and law suits? NETG says yes – and by 2020!
- Will First Light be waded down in a lawsuit brought on by a group of Taunton residents wanting to overturn the U.S. Department of Interior’s decision to declare land in trust for the Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe, which it plans to use to build a $500 million casino in the city. Will it be stopped? NETG says NO!
- Will CT get another casino? NETG says NO! The window is closing. Bradley Airport continues to push ahead, by too many legislators want a study to show reason to continue.
Oops, my crystal ball just stopped. Must be the batteries…..damn “Magic 8 Ball.”