This post was inspired by Ryan Craggs who wrote an article for Yahoo Travel called “The 30 Worst Decisions You Can Make in a Casino.”
Recreational gamblers are often uninformed, lack knowledge of gambling strategies, and prefer to be oblivious to advantage gambling tactics – which is OK – if you want to lose your money quickly and the social aspect of visiting a casino is your preference. Whatever floats your boat.
Many people visit a casino to play and be entertained – probably the majority of us. Who really knows how many people care about keeping their money, playing longer, getting comps, lowering the house edge with correct strategy, etc.
So, if you
- care about playing longer
- care about losing less
- want to give yourself the best chance at winning
- are an advantage gambler, or
- a whale with money to burn………………………
this post is not for you, but if you read it anyway, you get a giggle out of it.
VERY IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER – This post is rife with sarcasm, untruths, and basically meant for entertainment only. The truth about money management, random number generators in slot machines and game strategy has been completely ignored. No slots, table games, dealers, or casino staff have been hurt in the process of these very closely researched casino untruths.
So, here is a different take on Ryan Craggs article, and all those other articles about what not to do when you’re at your favorite convenience casino.
Remember, these decisions are all bad if you want to play longer or have a greater chance to win every once in a while. But, who am I to judge what anyone is comfortable with…..
AND NOW, IT’S TIME FOR….“10 Myths and Lies For The OBLIVIOUS Recreational Gambler”
- FEELING LUCKY – Yes, remember anyone can just walk into a casino and win! Never mind that”casino edge” that so many people talk about. Some one’s got to win, and you have as good a chance as the next guy to have blind luck hit in your favor.
2) NO NEED TO TIP YOUR WAITRESS / YOUR DEALER – You’re entitled to free drinks when you gamble. That’s $1 more for your quarter Video Keno game. Remember, they get paid by the casino – a little above minimum wage. Tips shouldn’t matter, should they?
3) PLAYING SLOTS, UNAWARE IF MAX BET IS IMPORTANT – You know that you can’t get any of those progressive jackpots (or do you) if you don’t play MAX BET, but no matter – you just like the symbols on this slot. It’s entertainment, and it’s in a section that you can’t get free drinks easier. (See previous suggestion)
4) PLAY 6:5 BACKJACK – 3:2, 6:5, what does it matter? You know that you lose $3 on each blackjack, and that you increase the casino’s edge another 1.39% – but it’s about the camaraderie, the fun, the drinks, and the social atmosphere of beating the house……right?
WHILE ON THE TOPIC OF BLACKJACK….
5) NOT HITTING ON 16 vs. DEALER’S 10, SPLITTING 10’s, and TAKING INSURANCE – you don’t really care about losing or giving the house more edge do you – especially if your table is “hot” – take a chance on your gut-wrenched hunch. Remember it’s all about the camaraderie, the fun, the drinks, and the social atmosphere of beating the house……right?
6) PLANNING TO PLAY AS LONG AS POSSIBLE, AND IF I’M UP, I’LL CONTINUE TO PLAY ON THE HOUSE MONEY – You hit once, or twice on whatever game you’re playing, you’re in a ZONE – you should keep playing. Just a word of caution from Mr. Craggs, “There are roughly 1,500 in the U.S. alone, and it’s because they’re proven moneymakers…..they make money because of that thing called a house advantage. Sure, you can win money, but if you play long enough, you won’t.” But, hey, if you’re in the ZONE, keep playing…..
8) GIVING UNSOLICITED INFORMATION TO “HELP” OTHER PLAYERS – I’m so grateful to those players who have tried to impart their uneducated, innate knowledge, such as – “that slot pays better if you play two credits, not three” or “that video poker machine hasn’t paid out for anyone, it’s cold, don’t play it” or even “don’t double down here, this casino has the cards rigged to make their money that way.” You, too, can be helpful – and intensely disliked – by giving untested information like this. Tell me how it works for you…..
9) STAYING AT A SLOT BECAUSE “IT’S DUE” – Your slot hasn’t been hitting, but you know they go in cycles. And you think that the machine remembers it’s previous cold cycle, so…….you stay. Besides, those things are programmed to pay out to the next retired person who strolls by and randomly tosses in a coin. So, you stay, because NOBODY is getting YOUR JACKPOT!
10) NOT PLAYING WITH A REWARDS CARD – It’s just Big Brother watching you, right? For the recreational player, you know darn well the casino connects you to all sorts of inter-web stuff. Better you’re anonymous, so they can’t give you comps, points for dining, tickets for concerts and special gambling offers – you know, things you’ll feel guilty about later.
VERY IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER – This post is rife with sarcasm, untruths, and basically meant for entertainment only. The truth about money management, random number generators in slot machines and game strategy has been completely ignored.